- 1 About PlayStation
- 2 SWOT Analysis of PlayStation
- 3 Strengths In The SWOT Analysis of PlayStation
- 4 The SWOT Analysis Has Weaknesses Of PlayStation
- 5 Potentialities In SWOT Analyses Of PlayStation
- 6 The SWOT Analysis Of Threats To PlayStation
- 7 Limitations of SWOT Analysis for Playstation
- 8 Weighted SWOT Analysis of Playstation
The PlayStation was launched to the public in Japan in December 1994 and came out in its American release in September 1995. Both games received critical acclaim as well as amazing sales.
Games like Twisted Metal as well as Ridge Racer were very popular. In 2005, the PlayStation was the first console to sell 100,000 units.
This is only accomplished by a company with years of experience, vast knowledge, and new techniques.
To determine the strengths of the firm, potential strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, it’s essential to conduct a SWOT analysis with PlayStation.
PlayStation is a video game for the home console designed and promoted via Sony Computer entertainment.
It’s an electronic game made up of home-video game handhelds, consoles, media centers, and smartphones.
PlayStation was created in the month of December 1994, by Ken Kutaragi who was a Sony executive within the divisions of hardware engineering for the company.
The company later referred to him for his role as “The father of PlayStation”. Following its launch in Japan, PlayStation made its American debut in September of 1995.
The games received positive reviews and a record-breaking sales. Games like twisted metal and ridge racer were extremely well-liked by the purchasers.
In the year 2005 PlayStation made history as the very first game console with a sales of 100 million.
In the PlayStation series PlayStation, the first console is the first one of any kind that sold more than 100 million units that were completed in just 10 years.
The predecessor, PlayStation 2, was launched on the international market in 2000. PlayStation 2 (abbreviated as PS2) is the most popular home console and had more than the 155 million sales mark at the close of 2012.
The next PlayStation console from Sony came with its PlayStation 3, released in 2006.
It was followed by then the PlayStation 4, released in 2013 and became the best-selling console ever.
Sony’s most recent gaming console, known as the PlayStation 5, was launched in the year 2020.
SWOT Analysis of PlayStation
SWOT analysis is among the most efficient methods used by numerous companies across the globe to evaluate their performance on the market and identify how they can improve.
SWOT Analysis can help PlayStation discover its strengths and weaknesses as well as its external threats and opportunities.
This will allow PlayStation to come up with solutions for its problems and also identify areas to work on.
Let’s begin with the SWOT Analysis of PlayStation by first examining its strengths of PlayStation.
Strengths In The SWOT Analysis of PlayStation
Outright Market leader Sony’s PlayStation has been the market leader for a long time as shown in the graphic below. Xbox as well as Nintendo are not far in the back. It is important to consider the huge gap between the first and the second in the market for consoles. This clearly shows the superiority that PlayStation has over other console brands. PlayStation in comparison to Xbox and other brands of consoles.
exclusive games A major benefit of a SWOT analysis of Sony PlayStation is the selection of exclusive games that are accessible on the PS only. God of wars, Uncharted, and many other games are a favorite of gamers and are exclusively accessible exclusively on PlayStation. Because of this, the console is automatically sold out because gamers want to play and enjoy the exclusive titles. Many gamers on both Xbox and PlayStation.
Handheld variations (HTML0) – PSP, as well as PlayStation Vita, are handheld variants of the Playstation which is a feature that is not present on each Xbox or Nintendo. The handheld versions also have a tiny percentage of the market that contributes to the total share of the marketplace PlayStation. PlayStation brand.
targeted by Game game developers – PlayStation because of the popularity of its games, has been heavily sought-after by Game developers like Ubisoft as well as Electronic arts as well as others. Since Playstation is the leader in the market and game developers are the first to test their games on PlayStation for smooth gaming.
Dual-shock controllers – Although Xbox has a massive controller that is a benefit, Playstation comes with dual-shock controllers that are adored by PlayStation gamers. They believe that double shock technology can enhance the enjoyment of playing games.
PlayStation Move technology Playstation Move technology is the solution to Wii remote and Kinect developed by Microsoft. Gamers are in love with the technology of moving that can assist you in playing many sports as well as other types of games.
Higher Backward compatibility The HTML0 version of HTML0 has higher backward compatibility. Playstation has done its best to ensure the safety of its older games as well as its old consoles by offering better backward compatibility. PlayStation has launched a service that will make it easier for players to play their old PlayStation games with a modern PlayStation console.
Resolution 4K There is no other console that has reached 4K resolution as of the date of 2017’s start. Xbox is in the process of planning to get ahead of the display with 4K resolution, however, Playstation already has the ability to work with the resolution of 4K and displays.
The second best alternative to PC Playstation is the second most popular choice to game. The PC clearly is the best.
The monthly plans for services online While Xbox has a plan for quarterly gaming to provide online gaming services PlayStation has a plan that is monthly to its players for the online game service.
The SWOT Analysis Has Weaknesses Of PlayStation
Prices of games The cost of games is greater as opposed to the Xbox or using a skimming method is employed. In actuality, many PC gamers have decided to leave their consoles to play games on PC due to the high cost of games.
PCs are ahead of the curve in technological advancements and price. Besides the cost and cost advantages, PC players also possess an advantage over console gamers due to a PC that has a higher resolution and gaming technologies than the most recent PlayStation. PC always has a head start over the console with regards to technology. This affects the market for consoles and, consequently, its most popular sales – the PlayStation.
Frequent updates Since consoles operate as closed operating systems frequent hardware updates mean that the console needs to be upgraded. After a console has been upgraded, games will be compatible with the new console, not the previous model. In the end, players are forced to change the console every couple of years which is an enormous cost and is a major issue for players.
Keyboard support is not adequate – Even though Playstation offers support for keyboards and mice for PC gaming, however, the keyboard support and the mouse’s aim aren’t sufficient and the experience isn’t the same as that on television.
Potentialities In SWOT Analyses Of PlayStation
Virtual Reality – The entire gaming industry is getting ready for virtual reality that was introduced by Oculus Rift which is owned by the company of Facebook. Virtual reality is not just going to assist gamers, but could also be a platform for social interaction. In the end, the market leader in consoles could see rapid growth within the market if it develops the first virtual reality gaming console. The battle for Virtual virtual reality games is about to start but Sony Playstation will have the advantage due to its existing sales platforms.
Increase in Gaming around the globe Gaming is becoming more widely used and is especially being accepted in emerging economies and developing economies. Therefore, this increase in gaming has a positive impact on a brand such as PlayStation which also enjoys an impressive distribution within the market.
Internet Gaming Gaming online is growing in popularity, and PlayStation currently has a significant presence in this area and is expected to grow in the near future.
Additional exclusive games and exclusive titles helped Playstation keep its top position in the console market around the globe. Constantly introducing new and improved exclusive games will assist PlayStation in the years to come to keep its position as a leader.
Subscription-based films and games Similar to Netflix and Amazon Prime, Sony is also able to start games and movie subscriptions through the PlayStation platform.
The SWOT Analysis Of Threats To PlayStation
Sales of consoles are declining One of the biggest threats to PlayStation is the decrease in the number of consoles sold annually from 2010 until now. The drop in sales is an evident sign of the general public becoming less interested in consoles and moving to Mobile games with increasing frequency.
Market maturing The market is getting more mature, with the majority of gamers having one or the other Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo. This is particularly true for those in developed markets where available income is high.
PC gaming remains robust PC gaming is the most powerful due to the advantages of technology on PC as well as the lower cost of games available on PC.
Mobile Gaming is Mobile is a major indirect rival to PlayStation. Mobile phones are becoming more and more capable every day to offer games that excel in terms of graphics. In the near future, phones will be able to play games onto TVs and users can connect their television and mobile in order to enjoy games. The biggest indirect threat to the entire console market, and consequently for PlayStation is the market for mobile gaming.
This is our SWOT review that Playstation has done. Please let us be aware if there are additional suggestions to add.
Limitations of SWOT Analysis for Playstation
While it is true that the SWOT analysis is used widely as a tool for strategic planning, however, it does have its fair share of drawbacks.
- Certain abilities or aspects of an organization can be both strengths and weaknesses at the same time. This is among the main drawbacks that SWOT analysis has. For instance, changing environmental regulations could be an opportunity and a threat to the company. However, however it could also be an opportunity in the sense that it can allow the company to compete in a position to compete with its competitors or gain an advantage over its competitors if they could develop the product more quickly than its competitors.
- SWOT is not a method of determining how to gain competitive advantages It is not a strategy to gain competitive advantage, therefore it should not be a complete solution.
- The matrix serves as an initial point of reference for an analysis of how the proposed strategies might be implemented. It provides an evaluation time frame, but it did not provide a plan of implementation founded on the strategic competitiveness. Playstation
- The SWOT model is a static evaluation that analyzes the existing conditions and a small number of potential modifications. When circumstances, capabilities, and threats alter, the dynamic of a competitive setting cannot be analyzed in one single matrix.
- SWOT analysis could make a firm over-emphasize one external or internal element in formulating strategies. There are interrelations between the most important external and internal elements that SWOT doesn’t reveal, which could be crucial in determining strategies.
Weighted SWOT Analysis of Playstation
Due to the previously stated shortcomings of the SWOT analysis/ matrix, the corporate management determined to give the weightage to each of the strengths and weaknesses of the business.
They also consider the likeliness of happenings in the near future and what the effect will be on the company’s performance.
This technique is known as a weighted SWOT analysis. It’s better than basic SWOT analysis since using weighted SWOT Analysis Playstation managers are able to focus on the most crucial elements and ignore the less crucial ones.
This also helps solve the long list issue which is when organizations make lengthy lists but do not address any of the elements are considered to be crucial.
- Kennan, M. (2017, September 26). Sony Corporation History & Background. Bizfluent
- PR News (2019, September 19). Sony Reveals New Line-up of Next-Generation Products, Solutions, and Services at IBC 2019. PR Newswire
- Jiji Press. (2019, February 21). Sony to Hire 20 Pct More R&D Workers in Spring 2020. Nippon
- Forbes Ranking (2020). Companies: Sony Corp. Forbes
- Sloane, P. (2018, November 21). Innovation Insights from the Founder of Sony. Innovation Management
- PR Newswire. (2019, November 12). Alliance Data Selected By Sony To Enhance Customer Loyalty And Digital Engagement. Alliance Data
- Cushing, C. (2020, May 13). Sony reports a 57% drop in Q4 profit, declines to give an outlook. Reuters
- Siegel, T. (2019, November 25). Five Years Later, Who Really Hacked Sony? Hollywood Reporter
- Willcox, J. K. (2020, April 04). Why It Doesn’t Always Pay to Buy Cheap TV. Consumer Reports
- Triggs, R. (2017, November 15). Here’s what Sony needs to do to get back in the smartphone game. Android Authority
- Pathak, T. (2019, June 13). Smartphone Growth in Emerging Markets Will Continue. CounterPoint
- Data Bridge (2020, May 16). Marvelous Growth of Medical Display Market. Surfacing Magazine
- Tech Desk (2020, March 19). Mobile games demand to rise as coronavirus forces people to stay at home. The Indian Express
- Columbus, L. (2019, November 16). 68% Of Deloitte’s 2019 Tech Fast 500 Are From Software. Forbes
- Ezrati, M. (2020, April 1). First Statistical Signs Of The COVID-19 Recession. Forbes
- Dutta, A. (2018, October 4). Sony India sales drop for 3rd yr in a row on tough competition in the TV market. Business Standard
- Fowler, J. (2019, June 25). 7 Products That Are Getting Cheaper. INVESTOPEDIA
- Torres, J. C. (2019, January 17). Sony Mobile in trouble, silently exiting Southeast Asia. Slash Gear
- Yamazaki, M. (2020, May 13). Sony braces for the lowest profit in four years hit broadly by the coronavirus. Reuters
- Stengel, R. (2019, October 6). The Untold Story of the Sony Hack. Vanity Fair
- Bremer, C. (2019, March 18). Trade in fake goods is now 3.3% of world trade and rising. OECD
- Featured Image by Nikita Kostrykin on Unsplash