- 1 Eli Lilly SWOT Analysis 2022
- 2 Strengths In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
- 3 Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
- 4 Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
Eli Lilly SWOT Analysis 2022
Eli Lilly and the company were founded in 1876. The company was founded by a chemist named Eli Lilly.
The name was derived from which the company was eventually called. Eli Lily is a well-known pharmaceutical company and is situated within Indianapolis, Indiana.
It is present in 17 additional countries with manufacturing and offices facilities there and has a broad distribution chain that covers 100 countries.
It is honored to hold the distinction of being able to create the first insulin for humans made using DNA recombinant technology and is now the biggest manufacturer and distributor of psychiatric drugs. As of 2010, the company raked in revenues of nearly $23 billion.
Today, it employs 38,500 employees across the world. It also has the distinction of being in the Fortune 500, which ranks 148th among other US companies.
Strengths In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
Strengths of the company are its capabilities and resources can be used to develop and develop competitive advantages in the marketplace
- Achieving success with a the new mix of products The success of the new product mix Eli Lilly provides exhaustive product mix options for its customers. This helps the company cater to different segments of customers in the Biotechnology and Drugs industry.
- Brands that cater to various segments of customers within the Biotechnology and the Drugs sector— Eli Lilly extensive product offerings have allowed the company to reach out to different segments of customers in the Biotechnology and Drugs segment. This has also allowed the company diversify its revenue streams.
- Profit margins are high when compared with Biotechnology & Drugs industry’s competitors – Despite the fact that Eli Lilly is facing downward profits pressure, compared to its rivals, it is making more profit.
- A wide geographic presence Wide geographic presence Eli Lilly has extensive dealer network and associates which not only aid in providing efficient services to customers, but also in addressing competitive issues in the Biotechnology & Drugs industry.
- Brand recognition Brand recognition – Eli Lilly products have strong brand recognition within the Biotechnology and Drugs sector. This has allowed Eli Lilly to charge a higher price than its rivals in the Biotechnology and Drugs.
- Advantage of the first mover in the increasingly competitive market. The latest products are rapidly growing Eli Lilly market share in the Biotechnology and Drugs sector.
Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
Insufficiencies that are the fault of Eli Lilly can either be lack of strengths or lack of the capabilities required however, the company does not have. Managers need to know whether the issue is because of a lack of strategic planning, or because of a the strategic decision.
- The high rate of turnover among employees at lower levels is another problem for Eli Lilly. This can result in more expensive salaries in order to retain the company’s top talent.
- Operating and Gross Margins which can be improved in the future and could impact the Eli Lilly financial statement.
- Local and niche markets Monopolies that companies like Eli Lilly able to exploit are quickly disappearing. The customer-centric network Eli Lilly has promoted is getting to be less and less effective.
- The level of loyalty among suppliers is not high – especially given the long history of Eli Lilly coming up with new ways to reduce prices throughout this supply chain.
- The high cost of replacing experts within Eli Lilly. Only a few employees are accountable for Eli Lilly’s knowledge base, and replacing them would be extremely difficult under the current conditions.
- A declining percentage of market that of Eli Lilly with increasing revenues – the Biotechnology and Drugs industry is increasing faster than the business. In this scenario, Eli Lilly has to carefully look at the many trends that are happening in the Healthcare sector to determine what it should do to ensure future growth.
Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
Opportunities are areas of opportunity where companies can identify opportunities for growth, profit or market share.
- Economic Growth is RapidAs The US economy is growing more rapidly that any developed country this will offer Eli Lilly an opportunity to expand into the US market. Eli Lilly already have know-how to be competitive in the US market.
- Local collaboration A tie-up with local companies can offer opportunities to grow Eli Lilly. Eli Lilly in international markets. Local players have local knowledge, and Eli Lilly can bring global methods and execution skills to the table.
- Opportunities in the Online Space The growing acceptance for online-based services among consumers will allow Eli Lilly to provide new products to customers in the Biotechnology & Drugs industry.
- increasing government regulations have made it harder for players who are not organized to work within the Biotechnology and Drugs industry. This may give Eli Lilly an opportunity to grow its customers.
- Customers’ preferences are swiftly changingdue to rising disposable incomes, the ease of access to information and the rapid growth of technology and services, consumers today are more likely to explore new products available on the marketplace. Eli Lilly has to carefully observe not just wider developments in the Biotechnology and Drugs industry, but also the larger Healthcare sector.
- The trend of customers moving towards higher-end products This presents a huge potential to Eli Lilly, as the company is well-known in the premium category, customers are satisfied with the excellent customer service offered through Eli Lilly brands in the lower segments. This is an opportunity for both the company and its customers and offers a chance to improve the profitability.
Threats In The SWOT Analysis of Eli Lilly
Threats are the elements that could pose a risk for the business models of the company due to shifts in macroeconomic factors as well as changing consumer attitudes. They can be controlled, but they are not can be controlled.
- competitors catching up to the pace of product development – Despite the fact that currently, Eli Lilly is still leader in product development in the Biotechnology and Drugs segment. The company is faced with a lot of competition from both local and international competitors.
- The growing technological proficiency from local competitors on the export market One of the major dangers of partnering with local players on the export market of Eli Lilly is threat of losing IPR. The framework for intellectual property rights is not as strong in emerging markets, especially in China.
- Insufficient human resources Due to the high employee turnover and the growing dependence on technological solutions the company may be faced with issues with human resource skills in the very near future.
- Market saturation in the urban and stagnation in markets in rural areas for Eli Lilly this trend is an ongoing issue within the Biotechnology and Drugs market. One reason for this is that the use of the products is slow in the market of rural areas. It is also more expensive to Eli Lilly to serve the rural consumers than urban customers due to the distances, and the absence of infrastructure.
- The commoditization process of the sector The most significant problem facing Eli Lilly and other players in the field is the rising commoditization the Healthcare products.
- Uncertainty about institutions and a growing threat of legal action against Eli Lilly – As the WTO regulations and laws are not easy to implement in different markets. Legal procedures have become costly and lengthy. It could result in lower investment in emerging markets by Eli Lilly thus resulting in slow growth.
There Are Limitations To SWOT Analysis For Eli Lilly
While SWOT analysis is a popular tool for strategic planning, SWOT analysis is used widely to plan strategic strategies however, it does have some limitations.
- Certain aspects or capabilities of an organization could be both strengths and weaknesses at the same time. This is among the main drawbacks that SWOT analysis has. Changes in environmental regulations could be a threat to the business however it could also be an opportunity in the sense that it allows the company to compete on the same level or even gain an advantage over competitors when it is can develop its products more quickly than its competitors.
- SWOT is not a method of determining how to gain competitive advantages It is not a strategy to gain competitive advantage, therefore it should not be a complete solution.
- The matrix serves as an initial point of reference for discussions on how the suggested strategies might be implemented. It offered an evaluation window, but not an implementation plan that is based on the strategic competitiveness of Eli Lilly
- The SWOT model is a static analysis that analyzes the current conditions with only a few potential modifications. As the environment, circumstances, as well as threats and strategies, alter, the dynamic of the competitive landscape cannot be analyzed in the form of a single matrix.
- SWOT analysis could make a firm overemphasize the importance of a single external or internal element in formulating strategies. There are interrelations between the important external and internal elements that SWOT doesn’t reveal, which could be crucial in determining strategies.
A SWOT Analysis That Is Weighted Ror Eli Lilly
Due to the previously identified weaknesses of the SWOT analysis/ matrix, the corporate management determined to give the weightage of every weakness and strength of the business.
Companies also evaluate the probability of the events happening in the near future and what the effect will be on the company’s performance.
This technique is known as the Weighted SWOT analysis. It’s superior to basic SWOT analysis since With weighted SWOT analysis Eli Lilly managers can focus on the most crucial aspects and eliminate the less important ones.
This also helps solve the long list issue which is when organizations make lengthy lists but not addressing any of the elements is considered to be crucial.
References Books On Eli Lilly SWOT Analysis
Eli Lilly (2018), “Eli Lilly Annual Report”, Published in 2018.
Euromonitor (2018), “Healthcare Sector Analysis “, Published in 2018.
A. D. Chandler, Strategy and Structure (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1962)
L. Wrigley, Divisional Autonomy and Diversification (Ph.D., Harvard Business School, 1970)
M. E. Porter, Competitive Strategy(New York: Free Press, 1980)
O. E. Williamson, Markets and Hierarchies(New York: Free Press, 1975)
R. E. White, Generic Business Strategies, Organizational Context and Performance: An Empirical Investigation, Strategic Management Journal7 (1986)
In conclusion, Eli Lilly And Company has proven its competitive edge and has proven that the business is operating well.
The sluggish stages that the business has had to face have defeated them. The company is now Eli Lilly And Company has been able to meet the needs of their customers and demands and provides healthier options to their customers.
Eli Lilly And Company is an international company that is expanding due to its huge amounts of strengths. They’ve had to face many challenges in the global market, but they’re still enjoying high profits and holdings.
In other sectors of the food industry, it’s become difficult to come up with strategies for the market. Eli Lilly And Company constantly keeps its promises to the long-term.
They’re still trying to make their position clear in relation to direct competitors, Papa Johns, Eli Lilly, And Companys, and indirect competitors such as McDonald’s.
Because of the solid brand name equity that Eli Lilly And Company has successfully integrated into the past of providing high-quality products and exceptional services, it continuously pushing the business to keep its position and secure an excellent position and standing in the marketplace.