- 1 eBay SWOT Analysis 2021
- 2 Company Background
- 3 The history of eBay
- 4 Strengths In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- 5 Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- 6 Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- 7 Threats In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- 8 There Are Limitations To SWOT Analysis For eBay
- 9 A SWOT Analysis That Is Weighted For eBay
eBay SWOT Analysis 2021
SWOT Analysis is an important assessment of a business to identify its strengths as well as its weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
Strengths help companies improve their performance, while weaknesses allow them to enhance and identify the kind of actions they should avoid.
A business must be able to jump into opportunities to spur innovations for the future. However, the threat of threats could have negative consequences.
Therefore, it is crucial to be able to discern and anticipate the future and the present value of the business.
|Founded||September 3, 1995|
|Industries served||Internet, Online retailing|
|Geographic areas served||Worldwide|
|Current CEO||John Donahoe|
|Revenue||$ 14.07 billion (2012)|
|Profit||$ 2.60 billion (2012)|
|Main Competitors||Amazon.com, Craigslist, Ubid, eBid Auctions, Google, Overstock.com and many others.|
The history of eBay
eBay was established around 1994, by Pierre Omidyar, has become an extremely profitable company in the US as well as other countries.
It is a multibillion-dollar company that operates in more than 32 countries at the time of this writing.
The primary source of revenue is the auction site. It also has an online store that lets customers purchase a variety of exclusive products and services around the world.
eBay has made popular the online auction-based model of business. However, it’s not the only source of growth for the business.
It also has acquired several other companies in different industries, which has increased its fame dramatically. For instance, it bought PayPal at an early stage and promoted it to grow its base of customers.
The company’s financials have performed well throughout the years. The company earned net profits of $10,800 million in the year 2019 the highest amount for a long time.
However, these figures weren’t a huge rise in the company’s net sales in 2018, which totaled $10,746 million. The figure was just 54 million, which is a 0.50 percent increase over the entire year.
However, the net income of the company decreased by $744 million in the year. The business, even with a rise in revenue, was hit by increased expenses in the year.
There was a decline of 29.41 percent from the company’s net income in 2018. In both of the years, net income was $1,786 million and $2.530 million and $2,530 million, respectively. The company, however, has not had a consistent net income in relation to its earnings.
It is important to look at the operating earnings of eBay to get a better understanding of the performance of eBay in the year 2019.
eBay’s operating earnings grew by 4.46 percent in the year. eBay earned net earnings of $2,321 million and $2.222 million in 2018 and 2019 in 2018 and 2019.
Strengths In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- The Leading Name The Leading Brand of HTML0 eBay is the most popular online auction and e-commerce company and has 97 million customers.
- A Huge Position within the Market The market for HTML0 is huge. eBay is an early business venture on the internet with a localized presence across more than 30 countries. It’s a well-known company name.
- Multiple Integrated Services The HTML0 platform eBay offers a variety of integrated services available in one location. Tickets tracking, online purchase online payments as well as online money transfers, and more.
- A strong international presence The Internet giant eBay offers a broad range of international presence, thereby offering services to a wider customer base.
- A Trusted Brand The brand of HTML0 is trusted by millions of people. eBay is a well-known business online and has an enormous amount of popularity with people around the world. The company is also one of the top favored brands on the market and has a huge market value.
- Massive workforce A huge workforce eBay has a massive workforce of around 14,000 working for them across the globe.
- Solid AcquisitionsStrong Acquisitions eBay has made significant deals with other parties such as PayPal, Skype, StubHub, and numerous others. Through these acquisitions, eBay’s brand has been strengthened.
- A strong business focus The HTML0 platform is a strong business focus eBay targets to be a leader in the B2C, and B2B businesses across the globe.
- Utilization of Artificial Intelligence – eBay websites use Artificial Intelligence that helps in the analysis of data for different web-based studies and also to satisfy the needs of the customer.
- Large Variety of products The website eBay offers a broad range of items that cater to every category. The website will attract a lot of shoppers looking for many things to buy.
- Excellent customer relations Good Customer Relations eBay maintains positive relationships with its customers through the use of immediate feedback.
Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- Fraud or fake sellers There are many fraudulent or fake sellers that connect with eBay. The company has done its best but has not been able to remove these sellers completely. This is, in reality, an extremely negative aspect of the brand and erodes the value of the brand.
- Intense competition eBay has a strong rival in this area since a lot of startups are being created in this space. eBay is also having less presence in the physical market.
- Technology Failure – Any interruption in the technology can affect the company to a significant degree. This is a huge problem for businesses.
- Limited sensory experience eBay websites offer an unrestricted sensory experience for buyers during their shopping online. This could affect the satisfaction of customers level when buying products that require sensory input, like clothing and food items.
Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- markets that are not on the internet These are markets that are not connected to internet access are typically not tapped on eBay. eBay website. eBay must figure out how to integrate them into its website, and this could create an enormous opportunity for businesses.
- non-willing customers Customers who aren’t interested to purchase online products could be convinced to do the same. This can be a tremendous opportunity for the company.
- bulk selling eBay may work with other companies for bulk selling.
- A New International business Market The new global business market eBay could profit from the global market for a business that is opening up to India in addition to China.
- Mobile Technologies The company eBay could profit from the growing usage of mobile technology among the customers.
Threats In The SWOT Analysis Of eBay
- Security Risks Security Threats to the HTML0 eBay site can be vulnerable to online frauds. There are security issues that could affect eBay’s business.
- Illegal entities– There are lots of risks in the presence of numerous illegal entries. This is a major risk to the company and maybe detrimental to them in numerous ways.
- Greater competition A new and growing competition in the area of online commerce poses an enormous threat to business.
- Different Government Policies and Taxes Different tax policies and laws of the federal government are being considered time and again, which could impact the margins of businesses and operations.
There Are Limitations To SWOT Analysis For eBay
While SWOT analysis is a popular tool for strategic planning, SWOT analysis is used widely to plan strategic strategies However, the analysis has its fair share of drawbacks.
- Certain abilities or aspects of an organization can be both strengths and weak points at the same. This is among the main drawbacks of SWOT analyses. For instance, changing environmental regulations could be an issue for the company but however, it could also be an opportunity in the sense that it allows the company to compete on the same level or gain an advantage over its competitors if they are could develop its product more quickly than its competitors.
- SWOT doesn’t provide a way to get a competitive edge It is not a strategy to gain a competitive advantage, therefore it should not be a complete solution.
- The matrix is merely an idea to begin discussions on how suggested strategies can be implemented. It offered an evaluation time frame, but it did not provide a plan of implementation that is based on strategic competitiveness. eBay
- It is a static evaluation that analyzes the existing conditions and a small number of potential modifications. As the environment, circumstances, and threats alter, the dynamic of the competitive landscape will not be apparent in one single matrix.
- SWOT analysis can make a firm overemphasize one external or internal aspect when formulating strategies. There are interrelations among the most important external and internal elements that SWOT cannot reveal, but can be vital in formulating strategies.
A SWOT Analysis That Is Weighted For eBay
Given the previously identified shortcomings of the SWOT analysis/ matrix, the corporate management determined to give the weightage of every internal strength and weakness of the company. Companies also evaluate the probability of the events happening in the near future, and what the effect can be on the performance of the company.
This technique is known as a weighted SWOT analysis. It’s better than basic SWOT analysis as With the Weighted SWOT Analysis eBay managers can concentrate on the most important aspects and eliminate the less important ones. This also helps solve the problem of a long list which is when organizations make an extensive list, but with none is considered to be important.
The outlook for 2021 for eBay is extremely positive due to the rapid growth that the company saw in the last year.
With its strong sales growth and rising profit margins and strong cash flow, eBay ended the year on a high note in 2020.
The efforts of eBay’s tech-driven efforts to boost sales on niche markets and mobile transactions was a major revenue and sales generator in the last year.
Another factor that plays in this regard is the explosion in e-commerce which resulted from the pandemic. Due to its impressive results, its stock price quickly surpassed that of the wider market.
It is clear that the eBay management team faces a challenging expectation to achieve in 2021 based on the remarkable results from the previous year.
But, it can also give eBay an advantage in the rapidly expanding market, especially since consumer preferences are shifting towards online shopping and online interaction.
These success stories are vital for eBay maintaining its momentum, even in a time when competition is growing and the commerce and retail shift to digital and online.
If you’re looking to improve your understanding of business and improving your problem-solving abilities take a look at our different SWOT analysis templates.
Take a look at the examples of SWOT analyses as well as an instructional guide to find out more regarding how to analyze SWOT.