- 1 Citibank SWOT Analysis 2022
- 2 Strengths In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
- 3 Weaknesses In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
- 4 Opportunities In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
- 5 Threat In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
Citibank SWOT Analysis 2022
Citibank SWOT Analysis: The table below outlines what is known as the Citibank SWOT (Strengths and weaknesses Opportunities, and Threats) and the most prominent Citibank competitors, and also its targeted market, segmentation positioning, and its Unique Selling Point.
SWOT analysis by Citibank examines the brand’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats based on its strengths weak points, opportunities, and threats.
In the analysis of Citibank’s SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are internal elements, while the threats and opportunities are external elements.
SWOT Analysis is an established management tool that allows an organization such as Citibank to evaluate it’s business and performance when compared with other competitors. Citibank is among the most prominent brands in the banking and financial services industry.
Strengths In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
Strengths are the capabilities of a business or organization that gives it an edge over its competitors. CitiBank’s strengths can be described as follows:
- The presence across segments: is the bank is present in both retail and institutional segments. The retail banking service offered by Citibank covers the entire range of banking products, including credit cards and loans. Foreign exchange trading, sales and trading of equity, as in fixed income as well as prime brokerage as well as advisory services for equity research, investment banking Fixed income research trade finance, corporate lending and private baking, cash management, and security services are some of the services that commercial baking provides to customers who have a high net worth.
- Network: Citibank has one of the biggest banking networks worldwide. In reality, Citibank has often gone in its records to say that its extensive network has helped the bank get through the financial crisis more effectively than other banks. This has also allowed the bank to ensure the quality and stability of its profits.
- The company is trimming its operations: When the global financial recession grew worse in western nations, Citibank took a decision to reduce its business, deciding to study every one of their customers on their profit to the company. Utilizing this analysis as a basis, Citibank decided to reduce the number of its institutional customers from 32,000 to 14,000 in 2016, opting to focus on the most profitable customers.
- Advertising strategy: Citibank recently revamped its advertising strategy for emerging economies such as India as well as South East Asia choosing to make use of the bank’s primary mission as the basis of its positioning. They’ve also looked at sponsoring primetime programming on popular TV channels in addition to some sports events like cricket’s Indian premier league that has increased the exposure for the Citibank brand.
- A strong relationship with the customer Citibanis an institution of finance that has excellent relations with its customers. Customers’ wants are monitored frequently in addition to their values presented by the bank are with regards to what every customer needs. Furthermore, the bank also provides a strong customer service team that is available round the clock and also provides the services of a personal banker for all of their valued customers.
- Strategist: The bank has been aware how the distribution of financial services is restricted and using a macros-based approach in the expansion process particularly in emerging economies will not work. Therefore, the bank has focused on cities, not regions when planning expansion, which has allowed it to gain a foothold in emerging economies.
Weaknesses In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
The term “weakness” is often used to describe areas in which the company or brand is in need of enhancement. The most significant shortcomings in Citibank are:
- Large Volume: The bank has one of the biggest networks around the globe and operates in more than 200 countries, with over 2500 branches. The bank has approximately 2 million accounts in the regions. This is a difficult task and managing these volumes isn’t straightforward.
- A high level of sustainability investment: Citibank has been involved in a variety of initiatives in the area of sustainability. their sustainability strategy is allocated an amount of 100 billion dollars over a period of 10 years. In the current recession, this is not an option over the long term.
Opportunities In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
For any company setting there are positive and beneficial aspects that can be used by an organization to improve its operations and be competitive on market effectively. These are”the” opportunities companies can focus towards achieving the desired goals. CitiBank’s possibilities comprise:
- Growing in the emerging countries: There is a shift in the focus of developed economies to emerging economies in the sector of financial services and numerous multinational banks are shifting towards BRIC countries. The young population, the low labor costs, a growing middle class, and a greater emphasis on infrastructure are driving this expansion.
Threat In This SWOT Analysis Of Citibank
Every industry has dangerous factors that can cause difficulties for the growth of a business. These are known as threats. Threats to CitiBank include:
- Competitive: The main competitors of Citi Bank are Bank of America, Standard Chartered Bank, and Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Risques in the emerging markets: Though there are many growth opportunities within emerging markets, there is an equal amount of risk. They include the small current size of the market that can be addressed and high volatility in the market along with political turmoil.
SWOT Analyses have limitations Citi
While SWOT analysis is a popular tool for strategic planning, SWOT analysis is extensively used as a tool for strategic planning however, it does have some limitations.
- Certain abilities or aspects of an organization could be both a strength as well as a weak point at the same. This is among the main drawbacks of SWOT analyses. For instance, changing environmental regulations could be an opportunity and a threat to the company. However, however it could also be an opportunity in the sense that it can allow the company to compete on the same level or even gain an advantage over competitors when it is can develop its products more quickly than its competitors.
- SWOT is not a method of determining how to gain competitive advantages It is not a strategy to gain competitive advantage, therefore it should not be a complete solution.
- The matrix serves as an idea to begin discussions on how the proposed strategies might be put into practice. It also provided an evaluation window, but not any implementation plan that is based on its strategic competitiveness. Citi
- The SWOT model is a static analysis that analyzes the existing conditions and a small number of potential modifications. When circumstances, capabilities, as well as threats and strategies, evolve, the dynamics of the competitive landscape will not be apparent in a single tableau.
- SWOT analysis can make a firm overemphasize the importance of a single external or internal aspect when formulating strategies. There are interrelations among important external and internal elements that SWOT cannot reveal that can be vital in formulating strategies.
A SWOT Analysis That Is Weighted By Weights Of Citi
Due to the previously identified shortcomings of the SWOT analysis/ matrix, the corporate management has decided to assign the weightage of every internal strength and weakness of the business.
Companies also evaluate the probability of events happening in the near future and the impact they will be on the company’s performance.
This is referred to as weighted SWOT analysis. It’s better than simple SWOT analysis since With weighted SWOT analysis Citi managers are able to focus on the most important elements and eliminate the less critical ones.
This also helps solve the long list issue that causes organizations to make an extensive list, but none of the elements are considered to be important.
References / Citations & Bibliography
- M. E. Porter, Competitive Strategy(New York: Free Press, 1980)
- A. D. Chandler, Strategy and Structure (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1962)
- O. E. Williamson, Markets and Hierarchies(New York: Free Press, 1975);
- L. Wrigley, Divisional Autonomy and Diversification (Ph.D., Harvard Business School, 1970)
- R. E. White, Generic Business Strategies, Organizational Context and Performance: An Empirical Investigation, Strategic Management Journal7 (1986)
In recent times, Citi has taken some significant steps to make its operations more efficient, smarter, and more secure.
While it has restricted its efforts to the primary areas in which it operates it has also increased its digitalization process.
In addition to being the biggest credit card issuer around the globe, The brand is well-known for many other reasons.
The company’s primary focus is focused on the US, Asia, and Mexico. It has formed partnerships with several retail companies and is trying to form more alliances.
It also has struck an important and significant collaboration with Paypal. However, the image of the company was damaged by the FIFA scandal, and it accepted a substantial fine for the lack of supervision at Banamex US.
There are still significant opportunities for Citibank within the Asian markets as well as in other key emerging economies.