- 1 Alphabet SWOT Analysis 2022
- 2 Company Background
- 3 Strengths In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- 4 Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- 5 Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- 6 Limitations of SWOT Analysis for Alphabet Inc.
- 7 Weighted SWOT Analysis of Alphabet Inc.
Alphabet SWOT Analysis 2022
Alphabet SWOT Analysis: Alphabet is which is the company that owns Google is among the most prominent companies in the world of technology.
Its primary business is Google but, in addition to Google, the company also has several other businesses, some of which aren’t related to its primary business.
Although the brand is relatively new the company has seen greater growth because of its emphasis on the development of new technologies.
Google is also known as a major cloud-based player. The primary source of income for Alphabet is its huge web-based advertising network.
But, new challenges have been surfacing prior to Google that is either legal or even economic in nature.
To sustain its growth in the face of intense competition and a difficult legal framework is not easy. The company is financially stable and has a significant amount of money in research and development.
It’s also looking to diversify into different areas to create new avenues of revenue and expansion. Google search engine is the company’s main strength, however, its competitive advantage is in its unique philosophy and culture that remains its main priority in terms of business.
It is a SWOT analysis for Google (Alphabet) that outlines its strengths as well as its weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
|Founded||October 2, 2015 (Google founded in September 4, 1998)|
|Industries served||Internet (Google Search, Google Ads, Gmail, YouTube)
Computer software (Android, Chrome)
Consumer electronics (Chromecast, Google TV, Pixel)
Venture Capital (CapitalG, GV)
Healthcare (Verily, Calico)
|Geographic areas served||Worldwide (more than 100 countries)|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, California, U.S.|
|Current CEO||Sundar Pichai|
|Revenue (US$)||182.527 billion (2020) 12.8% increase over 161.857 billion (2019)|
|Profit (US$)||40.269 billion (2020) 17.3% increase over 34.343 billion (2019)|
|Main Competitors||Amazon.com, Inc., Apple Inc., Facebook Inc., Microsoft Corporation, The Walt Disney Company, Netflix, Inc., and many other Internet, computer software, consumer electronics, and healthcare companies.|
Strengths In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- The world’s most-loved search engine: Google is the most well-known search engine that is used all over the world. It’s the reason for 70% of worldwide queries and has more than 1 billion hits per month. Bing, as well as DuckDuckGo, aren’t as well-known when compared to DuckDuckGo.
- Massive data-collection: Google has come up with a vast variety of programs and apps. Android is an operating system that is used by more than half the world’s smartphone users. Google Mail (and GSuite) is the most popular choice for email for business and home users. Google Drive offers free and paid storage for digital files. There’s also YouTube the most popular video sharing platform on the planet -and Google is also the owner of it. These tools all collect information which permits Google to customize advertisements to the individual user.
- An advertising-driven business model: Ad revenue accounts for the majority of Google’s profit. Google takes 30% of the earnings generated through its Google Play store (found on all Android operating devices). Collaborations with third-party sites result in an increase in advertising revenue as well. These methods have allowed Google to bring in $38.9 billion advertising revenue in the year 2019 this is an increase of 19% compared to the same period last year.
- Software and upgrades for free: This is due to the fact that the majority of Google’s earnings are derived from advertising that allows Google to offer free software and updates -which is something that Microsoft which is their primary rival, isn’t able to do. Microsoft is a major beneficiary of purchased software and is more likely to not upgrade systems at no cost (hence why you need to purchase large Windows updates such as Windows 7 8 or 10).
Weaknesses In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- Users fret over data-harvesting: The biggest strength of Google is the most damaging weakness for its users: the massive collection of data from users. With its search engine and the applications always running in the background of the smartphone, users aren’t happy with the access Google gives to information about users. For users, it’s a challenge to live a “Google-free life.” You’d need to take off all of Gmail, YouTube account, and Android phone, to begin.
- Google’s secret ranking system: What is the reason why certain sites or articles appear higher on Google over other websites? Being the first results for certain keywords could be lucrative — you’ll have a higher chance of earning money from ads when people visit your website. Businesses can pay to have links that link to their business. Search engine optimization experts examine popular sites and articles and websites, however, only Google is aware of the exact algorithm that will rank the site at #1. Because Google isn’t open about the procedure, it has caused people and business owners to be skeptical of the system.
- The risky revenue from the advertising model: Relying solely on advertising revenue is dangerous. Google is most concerned about its “cost-per-click” (CPC) measurement. It determines the amount advertisers be charged for clicks. If the CPC is reduced, Google’s profit fall along with it. CPC could decrease due to various reasons, for instance, when an advertiser switches platforms and decided to utilize different advertisements, for example, Instagram as well as Facebook advertisements. The two popular social networks are a major rival to Google’s advertising revenue.
- High turnover among high-level managers and employees on a regular basis: Despite the nice benefits Google provides its employees with large health and medical coverage as well as travel insurance and nice vacations the company has a very high turnover rate. In reality, this is not unusual for tech companies; Amazon works typically last for one year, while Apple’s employees stay for have a two-year tenure.
Opportunities In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- Diversification: Expanding into different areas in business and technology can aid the brand in achieving greater growth. Although Alphabet has invested in the development of new technologies this sector has enormous potential, and since it is financially sound, it has the ability to invest in new fields for more rapid growth.
- Growth through acquisitions: Alphabet is able to buy other businesses in order to achieve more rapid growth. Smaller companies that could aid in strengthening the main business will ensure faster growth for the brand.
- The future of AI and cloud-based business: Cloud and AI will be the new norm for the IT sector and Alphabet should continue investing in these areas in order to achieve greater growth. While innovation is the primary goal of Alphabet but it is also required to increase its presence in the cloud sector.
Threats In The SWOT Analysis Of Alphabet
- Threat to the competition: The threat of competitors in the IT sector has grown in the past few years. Alphabet has many competitors like Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, Apple, and so on. This creates tensions related to innovation as well as increased expenditures on research and development, as in marketing as well as sales.
- Legal and Pressures from the regulatory: The pressures of legal and regulatory within the IT industry have increased in number. Privacy concerns, as well as other issues, have seen the pressure on brands in this sector rise. EU has implemented stringent regulations to stop large companies from stealing user data and interfering with their privacy. According to news reports, the EU handed out more than 5 billion dollars in fines to Alphabet for Android antitrust concerns. The legal and regulatory atmosphere has continued to heat up. This is, in general, one of the most threatening problems faced by big tech companies such as Alphabet.
- Costs of R&D and marketing and sales: Increased competition and other factors have led to brands innovating. Alphabet also invests heavily in research and development, and it is one of the biggest spending companies in the field. Alphabet’s R& D expenditure rose over 16 Billion dollars in 2017.
Limitations of SWOT Analysis for Alphabet Inc.
While SWOT analysis is a popular tool for strategic planning, SWOT analysis is used widely to plan strategic strategies however, it does have some limitations.
- Certain abilities or aspects of an organization can be both strengths and weaknesses at the same time. This is among the main drawbacks that SWOT analysis has. Changes in environmental regulations could be an issue for the company but as well as an opportunity in the sense that it can allow the company to compete in a position to compete with its competitors or gain an advantage over its competitors, if they are could develop its product quicker than competitors.
- SWOT is not a method of determining how to gain competitive advantages and therefore it shouldn’t be a complete solution.
- The matrix serves as an idea to begin discussions on how the proposed strategies might be implemented. It offered an evaluation window, but not an implementation plan that is based on the strategic competitiveness of Alphabet Inc.
- It is a static analysis and analysis of the existing conditions and a small number of potential modifications. When circumstances, capabilities as well as threats, and strategies alter, the dynamic of the competitive landscape will not be apparent in one single matrix.
- SWOT analysis could lead companies to focus too much on the importance of a single external or internal element in formulating strategies. There are interrelations between the most important external and internal aspects that SWOT doesn’t reveal, which could be crucial in determining strategies.
Weighted SWOT Analysis of Alphabet Inc.
Due to the previously identified weaknesses of the SWOT analysis/ matrix, the management of the corporate determined to give an appropriate amount of weightage for every internal strength and weakness of the company.
Companies also evaluate the probability of future events happening in the near future, and what the effect can be on the company’s performance.
This technique is known as the Weighted SWOT analysis. It is superior to simple SWOT analysis since with weighted SWOT Analysis Alphabet Inc. managers can concentrate on the most important elements and eliminate the less critical ones.
This also helps solve the problem of a long list which is when organizations make lengthy lists but not addressing any is considered to be important.
Google will not be leaving anytime in the near future. It will continue to collect data from its users, tailor ads, and acquire businesses that are worth billions.
In the end, for better or worse it will continue to be the most used search engine and will dominate the telephone industry, the smart home technology, and the advertising business.